I wanted to print this letter from 5 years ago and give it to you because I want you to know and remember all these things. They are all still true today. I thought maybe you could keep these letters and read them over when life is rough.
Baby, life is only going to get harder. The next few years of your life could possibly be some of the most difficult. And I can’t change that for you. As much as I would like to protect you and keep you safe, I can’t. So I want you to remember some things as you go out into the world of teenagehood and endure the perils of junior and senior high school.
- You are loved. You are loved UNCONDITIONALLY by so many people – your grandparents, your aunts and uncles, your cousins…but most importantly, by your brothers and your parents. Unconditional means there are no requirements for this love, there is no way to lose it, or lessen it. We might have disagreements and be frustrated and angry with one another, but your dad and I will ALWAYS love you.You are loved by God. Faith is a finicky, tricky and difficult thing. Again, I can’t give you faith. I still struggle with faith every day. You will have to take your own journey. But I hope you will find comfort in knowing that there is a higher power that loves you.
- School is not the be all, end all. Don’t get bogged down by the drama that unfolds at school every day. You have a safe haven at home, at Nana’s, at Gran’s, at all of your auntie and uncle’s houses. One day, school will be over and whatever you have built outside of that will remain.
- Choose your friends wisely. You will be influenced by those you surround yourself with. If you are spending time with someone who is not contributing positively to your life, I would encourage you to distance yourself from them. Good friends will get you through the next few years. Not so good friends will take you down paths you do not want to go and to places that are difficult to come back from.
- You can always come back. No matter where you’ve been, what you’ve done. You can always come back.
- You can always call/text us. If you are in an uncomfortable situation, get out. Say your mom needs you home now, text and I will come and get you. No questions asked.
- Make good choices. But when you don’t, we are here for you. You can always talk to us.
- Your brothers are your best friends. That is one of the most precious gifts I think I could have ever given you – each other.
Baby boy, I love you. Your dad loves you. So, so much. I can’t express this enough. Happy Birthday son.
Love always and forever,
- June 2014